Instructor: Holly Burlingame, CSBA
School Accounting 1 (SA1) will provide an overview of school district accounting requirements under the modified accrual basis of accounting as prescribed by regulatory authority in Washington State. Students will learn the basic principles of accounting including analysis of transactions, journal entries, posting, and preparation of basic financial reports. This course focuses primarily on the General Fund and includes accounting for imprest accounts, inventories, property taxes, payroll, accounts payable, investments and warrants. This course also includes an in-depth study of state required revenue and expenditure coding. Year-end financial transactions pertaining to payroll, accounts payable, prepaid items, unearned revenues and revenue accruals will be covered. Other subjects include bank statements, reconciliation of general ledgers and internal controls.
Please Note: All classes must be attended for credit. Successful completion of School Accounting 1 is a prerequisite to enrollment in School Accounting 2.
- $395 for WASBO Members (Not a member? Click here to view information on membership benefits, rates or join today!)
- $440 for Non-Members
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Class Duration - 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM, every Thursday beginning January 16, 2020 through February 13, 2020. Please note there is no class on Thursday, Feburary 6, 2020.
- Lunch Break - Thirty (30) minutes, not provided by WASBO. Bring your own lunch or plan to pick something up during the break.
- Course Preparation - All handouts/materials will be provided by your instructor prior to the first day of class (via email). Materials may be printed for use in class or accessible from a laptop. Please bring a pencil, eraser and a preferred form of calculator.
Successful completion of School Accounting 1 qualifies for thirty (30) clock hour/CPE credit hours.
Please note all cancellations received:
- 30+ days prior to the event will receive a 50% refund of their registration fee
- 29 or less days prior to the event are subject to no refund
No-shows are also subject to no refund. If you are registered for a workshop or training and you do not attend without alerting the WASBO Team (No-Show), your district will be notified.
Name substitutions and location changes (if applicable, i.e. ASB workshops) will be accepted up to 10 working days prior to the event.