Contact Us | Print Page | Sign In | Register
Purchasing/Warehouse Q&A
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Vendor Selection - Pre-Qualification Process 0 D. Reed Robert from LWSD shared (thank you Robert!) his vendor selection criteria when selecting suppliers for large furniture purchases such as warranty period, safety compliance, available in multiple colors and finishes, etc. Has anyone gone down the road with regards to these types of criteria? US and International labor laws (child and forced labor, "sweatshops") Testing/Compliance with lead, resins, glues, paints, etc...but perhaps that is "safety compliance? And how does one address this to ensure they do comply? Is simply having them attest to the fact by signatures enough? Do we need proof of testing for lead, etc.? And if they tested it...did they pass some sort of requirement?   I believe Federal Debarment does include labor laws. Or are there WA State or US laws already in place controlling all of this and I don't need to be concerned with it?
by D. Reed
Tuesday, November 14, 2017
Senior Buyer position at Lake Washington SD 0 L. Figueroa An excellent opportunity in the Lake Washington School District!  We have an opening for a Senior Buyer and it is posted under Resources / Career Center.
by L. Figueroa
Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Seeking Volunteers for the Purchasing Manual review 0 L. Figueroa Looking for volunteers to review sections of the WASBO purchasing Manual.  Once we get volunteers; we will collaborate with a time frame that is reasonable and fits in our schedules.  To volunteer please just respond to this topic along with the section you would like to contribute... We probably should also discuss Chapter 9. Here is a list of the sections as listed: Chapter 1 - Objectives, Functions and Organizations Chapter 2 - Suggested Policies and Purchasing Ethics Chapter 3 - Suggested Procedures and Forms Chapter 4 - Disposal of Personal Property Chapter 5 - Warehousing Chapter 6 - Leasing Chapter 7 - Hazardous Materials Chapter 8 - EPP Chapter 9 - "Coming Soon" Chapter 10 - Resources Chapter 11 - Legal Resources Chapter 12 - Glossary of Terms
by L. Figueroa
Monday, November 6, 2017
Contracts/Purchases from Students? 1 D. Reed Hi Daryl. My suggestion is that the are a vendor for sure. That means registering with Dept. of Rev and have a UBI number. I don't know if there is an age requirement to get a business license.We do have a couple of vendors who are employees. We have recently established procurement requirements for employee/vendors. It is a mutually beneficial procedure to prevent the appearance of conflict of interest. it is belowProcedurally, Auburn School District requires the following process prior to purchases from companies known to be owned by Auburn School District staff.• Obtain 3 quotes for each purchase from competitors to assure that the prices are competitive. This research must be conducted by staff or students wishing to make the purchase.• All purchases must be pre-approved via a signed purchase order generated from the Purchasing Department and signed by the Purchasing Coordinator.• Federal Procurement Code of Ethics dictates that employee/vendors cannot sell goods or services to the Auburn School District using federal funds.
by G. Van Hee
Friday, January 27, 2017
Timber Sales 0 B. Gerber We purchased some land that is going to have to have the timber removed.  Has anyone done an RFP on this?  Do you have any other document and/or tips.  This is a first for us and want our district to get a fair price and good service.
by B. Gerber
Monday, December 12, 2016
USDA Purchasing Guidance for Food Goods and Services Procurement 3 D. Reed Here is an update. The original bid PSJPC did in 2012 included a "buy American" certification to which the bidders (FSA) signed and thereby agreeing to it. Attached is that certification. The State contract however does not go that far. The old or current bid language included nothing relating to it. Upcoming bid solicitations will include: Federal Funds.  To the extent that any Purchaser uses federal funds to purchase goods and/or services pursuant to this Master Contract, such Purchaser shall specify, with its order, any applicable requirements  or certification that must be satisfied by Vendor at the time the order is placed or upon delivery.   “Buy American”:  http://www.k12.wa.us/ChildNutrition/pubdocs/BuyAmericanProvisionReferenceSheet.pdf   Exhibit J – Other Initiatives regarding Food Purchases:  This exhibit provides information provided by the Departments of Ecology, and Social & Health Services as pertaining to goals, sustainability and “Buy American”. What this means (which I confirmed with the State) is the purchasers (us) need to inform the suppliers of the buy American requirements. I would safely assume the Franz Bakery and Dairy is okay. Probably should document that we told them anyway. The FSA and produce vendors would be the concern. We will probably create a boilerplate document to be included with each order and should do random spot checks of the origins.
by D. Reed
Monday, November 21, 2016
Acoustical Shells 1 S. Patterson You should find one through KCDA with Wenger.
by D. Reed
Friday, November 4, 2016
On-line bookfairs 2 B. Gerber Thanks Darren. I hope to get more responses.
by B. Gerber
Thursday, November 3, 2016
District Partnership With Local Stores for Emergencies 0 D. King Another member asked me to make this post, so here goes.... Does your district partner with local grocery stores for water and emergency supplies in the case of an emergency?  Rumer has it that in FEMA trainings someone had mentioned the possibility. If you have an agreement, please post it for the group.  
by D. King
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
Basic Forum Rules 0 D. King Welcome WASBO Purchasing & Warehouse Committee Members.  For those that were on the list that I just asked for you to migrate to the forum, welcome.  For those that are visiting, I have attached an easy document to help you make adjustments in your settings to make the most out of the forum.  Since this post may stick around, my disclaimer is that my document won't change and the site might.  Unlike the email list, if you have a topic that you need help with, please feel free on posting it directly.  If you have a post that, for confidentiality reasons, you may want me to post it, just ask.  However, assume all communications on this or any other site is "discover-able."
by D. King
Tuesday, September 13, 2016
MRSC May Loose Funding from Senate Budget 1 D. Reed According to MRSC's site, the funding "has come from a small portion of the local government share of liquor revenues that historically would have otherwise gone directly to cities and counties."Here is a link to read more from their site: http://mrsc.org/Home/Stay-Informed/MRSC-Insight/March-2016/Senate-Supplemental-Budget-Zeroes-Out-MRSC-by-July.aspx
by D. King
Wednesday, March 16, 2016
site licenses as curriculm 1 H. Larson Our board policy excludes books from the bid/quote requirement which is also in RCW 28A.335.190      (2) Every purchase of furniture, equipment, or supplies, except books, the cost of which is estimated to be in excess of forty thousand dollars, shall be on a competitive basis. The board of directors shall establish a procedure for securing telephone and/or written quotations for such purchases. Whenever the estimated cost is from forty thousand dollars up to seventy-five thousand dollars, the procedure shall require quotations from at least three different sources to be obtained in writing or by telephone, and recorded for public perusal. Whenever the estimated cost is in excess of seventy-five thousand dollars, the public bidding process provided in subsection (1) of this section shall be followed.
by D. King
Monday, October 5, 2015
test 1 H. Larson Testing back...
by D. King
Thursday, October 1, 2015
Procurement Card Rounding Errors 1 D. King We have seen rounding errors periodically, maybe 5 or 6 times total. We've never asked for a credit or a corrected receipt nor do we have a policy for it. The amount of time spent to make the correction with the vendor and the employee doesn't seem to be worth it in the long run.
by H. Larson
Tuesday, September 29, 2015
Foaming Hand Soap vs. Traditional Liquid Soap 0 D. King Over the past few years we have seen an increase in foaming soaps that are replacing the traditional liquid soaps.  Initially the foaming soap per ounce was much more expensive.  Prices are coming down and there may be other benefits to foaming soap that should be considered, i.e. it may work better. What are the arguments for and against foaming hand soap in schools? Do you have any data on the increased cost or usage of soap from your traditional liquid soap and then after converting over to foaming soap?   I'd be interested in looking at the usage of traditional liquid soap over the last complete year of usage in a district vs. the first complete year of foaming soap.  If your warehouse manager has the information, please ask for their help in getting so data for our group.
by D. King
Incomplete Procurement Card Receipts 0 D. King How does your district handle receipts for your procurement card purchases that are incomplete?   If you have a receipt that has a total but doesn't show the unit cost, number of units, sub-total, tax, and total, do you require the cardholder to to get another complete receipt? What happens if you have a receipt for parking from a machine that doesn't have enough information, like the date, the total, etc.? Do you have a policy you can share on what is required for your receipts?
by D. King
RFP 2 V. Birdsong Hello,It is for Services for a federal grant.Thanks!
by V. Birdsong
Start of School Year Purchases 1 D. King Our experience has been "school related" vendors such as KCDA, School Specialty, etc understand school accounting to some degree and they accept our summer POs with "September Billing". This allows us to order 15/16 supplies in late July or early August, the delivery arrives in August and the invoice is paid in September. Other vendors, due to the common Net-30 terms, the PO can be timed to place the order around the first week of August and that invoice is naturally due 30 days later in September. We never have had a problem with receiving 15/16 supplies before Sept. 1st. and paying in the new year.As I understand the rules, POs in 14/15, the supplies MUST arrive no later than Aug 31st...nothing states the opposite of 15/16 supplies arriving in 14/15 (before Aug. 31st). We've been doing this for the 8+ years I have been here with no issues. On occasion we do have to switch a 14/15 PO to 15/16 due to a late delivery, the vendors don't care what number is used, we just ensure we make notations of what happened for history.Our teachers and support staff want their supplies in mid-August so they can set up their rooms, etc before the start of school.
by D. Reed
Monday, September 21, 2015
Federal and State Surplus Participation and Success 0 D. King Do you or someone in your district subscribe to the state and federal surplus programs? If so, can you list examples where it has benefited your organization? We are up for renewal (attached forms for those that aren’t participating that may want to) and don’t know if it’s worth the effort. Thanks in advance for your input to the group! Sincerely, Darren King, C.P.M. Purchasing Manager & WASBO Purchasing Co-Chair Central Valley School District, #356 (509) 228-5476 www.cvsd.org
by D. King
Friday, September 18, 2015
Athletic Equipment/Uniform contract vendors 2 J. Hassilev Thank you Darren.
by J. Hassilev
Tuesday, May 5, 2015

284 Lee St. SW
Suite 132
Tumwater WA 98501

Google Map

Contact Us

Office: 360-528-2025
Toll Free: 800-524-4706
Fax: 360-528-2028
Email: admin@wasbo.org